Friday, January 16, 2009

Random thoughts about this class

When this class was posted I knew immediately that I wanted to take it. First of all, Jay is an awesome, if crazed, teacher of random techie stuff. Second, I find the topic area absolutely fascinating and would love to do some kind of research if I could ever find a professor with enough time and vision to help me. I'm new to blogging but I enjoy reading them and I guess I'll get used to writing on them. The Knoxville News Sentinel article comments and blogs alternately crack me up and make me scream in annoyance. What a town we live in.

When we got to class the first night and I saw the syllabus, I had pretty much decided it was way too much writing for me to handle. I'm seriously over the 20-page paper thing for the most part and had enough of it in my last program. It is a major reason why I am not in a PhD program but chose, instead, to get a second master's. The readings are interesting so far; the lit review -- definitely doable; designing a research study -- depends on how detailed it has to be since I'm clueless in that area. Put them all together with all the rest of the stuff for other classes and my job and occasionally doing the mom thing with my kids and I had a panic attack on the drive home that first night. I want to take this class. I'm still questioning whether it will overwhelm me.

So...I'll put in my comments on the readings but if they start to ramble, it's probably because my medications are wearing off so I ask for your forgiveness in advance. I'll try to keep tangents to a minimum.

2 comments:

  1. When this class was posted I knew immediately that I wanted to take it. First of all, Jay is an awesome, if crazed, teacher of random techie stuff.

    Awesome:Good

    Crazed:Not sure (though it was a compliment in the early 80's)

    Random:Not sure

    . . .

    You've either made my day or ruined it. I'll just hope for the best.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all intended as compliments.

    ReplyDelete